Our last project before break was
So, some time in what feels like the last millennium, I introduced the process to my students. I showed them a couple of videos and gave them a demonstration. Perhaps because it was so close to the holidays and even though it's hard to believe, I think that they may be getting tired of me, they seemed to pay better attention to the videos. This got me thinking that I might just video my lessons and send them in via GoogleClassrooms in the future, all the while sitting at my kitchen table in my jammies with a cup of hot cocoa but THAT is another blogpost.
We painted our backgrounds, did a little tutorial on radial symmetry (an idea that I will expand upon with our next and final project of the semester) and got busy with the printing.
But shall I stray from the original topic at hand, our friend Ronnie was the first one that got to the actual printing of his designs. His little drawing was perfect and printed very clearly. His background was bright and colorful and came through marvelously through the printed design. I was excited! The other kids were excited when they heard how excited I was. They all gathered around to watch Ronnie print little square after little square. There were Ooooooooos! There were Ahhhhhhhhs! Someone shouted Coooooool! The atmosphere in the Art Room was positively electric! Everyone was so excited to get to their work because of how awesome Ronnie's work looked. I was smiling ear to ear, which my friends is not easy as Ronnie's class is my first class of the day. I was happy for success. As Ronnie printed, I smiled. And finally, I said, "Ronnie! You are doing such a great job! It looks awesome. Do you like it?" and my stoic little friend said, "Yes" and kept printing.
I'll get a smile out of him yet.
Here's the process:
We drew a 3" grid on 12 x 18 white construction paper
We painted a wash of colors on the paper using watercolors. Some students chose to paint in a checkerboard, others were more expressive in their painting. ;)
After learning about mandalas and radial symmetry, we practiced drawing our own mandalas. We chose 2 that we liked and transferred those designs to 3 x 3 stickie notes.
Everyone got one 5 x 5 styrofoam to-go containers (I got them at Sam's club), which we cut in half and trimmed the edges off.
We stuck our stickie notes on the flat parts of the styrofoam, and trimmed it to size. Then using a dull colored pencil, we transferred our design onto the styrofoam. We pulled off the stickie notes, then went over our lines using a ball point pen to define the lines and add detail.
We did a test print, made any changes that were needed and started printing on our paper. Some students chose to use both 'plates' after their test prints, while others chose to use the one they liked best.