Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. ~Twyla Tharp

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

PRIDE

Every day, for 30 minutes we have 'PRIDE' time.  This is a time were teachers can work with students on concepts that need to be revisited and students can catch up on work and get the extra help that they need.  Mrs. Nelson, the band director and I are so lucky to be able to work with a group of 8th graders that don't need remediation as much as enriching activities that push them to think outside the box, work together as teams and get to do activities that they normally wouldn't get to do during the school day.


This week, we are making STAR BOOKS. For this challenge they were given instructions to create the book. There are 7 'pages' and each page is made up of 3 different parts. Part 1 is twice the length of the cover. Part 2 is 75% of the length of part 1 and part 3 is 2/3s the length of part 2. They could choose the size of their book, but it had to be within the confines of the size paper that we gave them. They had to figure out all the proportions of the pages to make the books work. These students have restored my faith in rulering.









2 comments:

  1. Mizz Smiff, Hi, I am an ART Teacher at two different Catholic schools in PA. I would LOVE to make these star books with my middle school ART students. Would you please share this lesson plan with me. It was be greatly appricated.
    Thanks, ART Teacher in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, I know that it is a year and a half after you posted this comment but for whatever reason, I wasn't notified that you had asked and I don't get many comments here on my blog so I never thought to look. If you'd still like the direction on how to make a star book, just give me your email address and I will send them to you. Sorry it's been so long.

    ReplyDelete