Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. ~Twyla Tharp

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Art Room

We've been back at school for about 2 1/2 weeks and I think that I finally have my classroom in order, the way that I want it.  For now.



I haven't changed too much this year.  I think that I finally got my art history timeline that is above the whiteboard up in a way that it won't be falling down by Thanksgiving.



One new thing that I added is the shelving unit by the front door.  I am using it to hold the bins that I have for work-in-progress for each class.  So far, it's been one of the smartest things that I have ever done.  Kids line up along the wall in front of the door and drop their work into their plastic bin that I set out on a desk under the telephone as they walk out into the hallway to go to their next class.  When students come into class, one person gets the bin and passes out all the art work.  So far, no projects have been lost, and students know that if they didn't get their work handed to them, they probably forgot to put their name on it.  Two problems solved for less than 20 bucks at Home Depot.  Best investment I have made to date.



This is as organized as my supplies table will be this year.  My desk sits right behind it and I have a cozy little nook to sit in when I am doing my planning.  Of course, I also am trapped in there if I happen to be sitting at my desk and a student comes to me for help.



Sometimes, I think my classroom might be a little bit cluttered and busy, but when faced with the stark gray, battleship blue and black colors in the hallway, I think I am just making up for the shear bleakness in the other parts of the school.  My classroom is bright, colorful, stimulating and fun.  I especially love my little reading corner in the middle right of the above picture.  I still need to bring my houseplants back in to put on the ledge under the windows.  It's a miracle that I didn't kill them over the summer.



I am so happy to have this great space.  So many art teachers don't have a classroom at all, so I know that I am very lucky, indeed.




My theory is that I spend most of my day, the awake part of it at least, in this room, so I might as well make it an enjoyable space that I feel comfortable in.

I love looking at how other art teachers have decorated their rooms.  I think that any school's art room is the place to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment