Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. ~Twyla Tharp

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 12


Day 12.  Today's challenge, after you read about Vincent Van Gogh and his paintings of his bedroom in Arles, is to show me your favorite space in your house.


This is Vincent's painting of his bedroom in Arles.  I love all the colors.



This is a picture of MY favorite space in my house.  A few years ago, I added this sun room and a deck to the back of my house and this is a picture of one of the reasons that it is my favorite space.  The checkerboard floor!  Many, many years ago I went on one of those tours that they have of fancy houses and one house, which was actually down the road from the school where I taught before I came to AMS, had floors just like this. In that house this floor, which is made of cork tiles, was in a third floor 'media' room.  When I saw those floors, I said to myself, 'Self, someday you are going to have a house and in that house you are going to have floors like this.' And now I do!  This picture is just when they were finishing the room. Now, it is filled with books and plants and art supplies and the comfiest couch ever.  One of my goals for this summer is to put blinds up on those windows.  When it was first built, I didn't need them because my house was surrounded by woods. Now, I have neighbors on one side so I need blinds.

Read about Vincent's bedroom here.  A few years ago, The Art Institute of Chicago recreated Vincent's bedroom in a one bedroom apartment that you can rent and stay in for one night.  I think that would be a fun thing to do if I was ever in Chicago.  There is also a hotel in The Netherlands in the town where Vincent was born and spent most of his young life that has recreated his bedroom where you can spend the night.  My list for visiting places has become much longer now that I am stuck here in one place.

I can't wait to see your favorite spaces!

No comments:

Post a Comment