Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. ~Twyla Tharp

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Day 16


When you think about careers in art, most of you probably think about artists - people who draw or paint and sell their work - and maybe about art teachers, but careers in art go so far beyond those obvious professions.  In fact, some of you have probably thought about what you might want to be when you grow up and have not realized that it is an art related field.  Video game designer?  Fashion design?  Web design?  All art related fields.

Nearly all art and design related careers rely on being proficient in some kind of digital art platform.  Being comfortable with a graphic editing program such as Photoshop is essential if you are looking to find a job in the art and design world today.

Here's a short list of careers that rely heavily on photoshop:

  1. Graphic designer
  2. Photographer
  3. Freelance designer
  4. Web developer
  5. Art director
  6. Illustration
  7. Social media marketing
  8. Advertising
  9. Animation
  10. Game designer
  11. Interior design
  12. Fashion design
  13. Set design
  14. Comic book artist
  15. Character design
  16. Multimedia design
  17. App design
  18. Visual effects editing
  19. Background artist (film/gaming)
  20. Architect
There are so many careers that are art and design related that if you spent enough time, I am sure that nearly all of you would be able to find something that would interest you enough to explore it for a future career option. 

Today, I'd like for you to try your hand at digital art.  I would love for us to be able to have a digital art lab, with new computers that have Photoshop and other photo editing programs ready for us to get to work, but, since that isn't possible, I have done a little bit of researching over spring break and have found a program called PhotoPea which is a free web based photo editing program that is about as close to Photoshop as we are going to get.  I also want you to remember that when I was in art school, all of those jobs that are listed above were done the OLD FASHIONED way.  By old fashioned, I mean without a computer.  And yes, I know that means that I am older than dirt, but luckily, because we now have programs like Photoshop and Photopea, that just means that I can digitally manipulate my face and pretend that I am young again.  It also means that I am by no means an expert and I will be learning along with you as we explore this realm of digital art.

Follow the links to get to Photopea, and tutorials here, here and here to get you started.  

Have fun!  Play around with the program and see what you can learn.  I can't wait to see what you come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment